STOP® for Each Other
STOP® for Each Other is based on the idea that safety is everyone's responsibility. It is designed to help participants look at safety in a new way, so they can help themselves and their co-workers work safely. During the program participants develop their safety awareness and talk with others about all aspects of safety.
STOP® for Each Other focuses on:
- Everyday safety – not just observations. The program covers formal observations in the final unit, as another way to use the observation and communication skills learned in the program.
- Safety of co-workers. STOP® for Each Other emphasizes how peers rely on each other to work safely in the workplace. It's not just about personal safety.
- Conditions as well as actions. STOP® for Each Other highlights how the interaction of people and conditions work together to produce safe or unsafe situations.
- Peer-to-peer communication. STOP® for Each Other encourages a mindset where safety is an everyday discussion, not just completing a formal observation.
Important STOP® for Each Other concepts include:
- Seeing Safety. Participants become so attuned to safety that they automatically notice safe or unsafe practices throughout the workplace and home.
- We depend on each other. Peers rely on themselves and each other to stay safe.
- Show me you care, make me aware. The program gives peers permission to talk with each other about safety.
STOP® for Each Other is especially well suited for delivery to any peer group or personnel in team-based or flat organizations that have personal responsibility for their safety and the safety of co-workers. STOP® for Each Other also works well for organizations that have used STOP® for Supervision and wish to train non-supervisory personnel or to conduct refresher training in safety.
The educational approach is the "three-legged stool" used in all STOP® offerings from DSS:
- Individual self-study through workbooks
- Review/workplace application activities
- Group meetings in which participants view video, discuss concepts introduced in workbook and video, and apply the concepts to their workplace
STOP® for Each Other job-focused application activities make safety real, not theoretical. As a result, participants gain better understanding of concepts and skills, with wider application and use of the knowledge learned.
STOP® for Each Other fosters a culture of caring and concern that focuses on prevention, working safely and communication.
Content and Materials
STOP® for Each Other program components:
- Implementation Assistance Workshop
- Workbook with 5 Units and Refresher
- The STOP® Safety Cycle
- Conditions, Positions of People, Personal Protective Equipment, and Tools and Equipment
- Procedures, Housekeeping, Reactions of People, and Talking with Others
- Conducting Formal STOP® Safety Observations
- Administrator Guide
- Leader's Guide
- Discussion Aid CD
- Observation Cards
- Observation Checklists
- STOP® for Each Other eLearning Courses
- STOP DataPro®
- STOP® Assessment
STOP® for Each Other Workbooks are also available in an e-learning format that allows participants to listen to interactive readings, watch videos and learn at their own speed.